Friday, January 12, 2018

The emperor's new coat

Ever since the periods of low income for me and my husband, I have been in the habit of fixing our clothes myself by hand rather than buying new ones or going to a tailor. Yes, I was also stitching up holes in socks too (I only later learned what darning is). Our doggie Aschiuta also contributed to those sock holes getting larger and more numerous...

Thursday, February 9, 2017

A little early for decorating?!

I have long known about shuttle collections and personalised shuttles. I always said I would not get the bug, because I prefer functionality over appearance.

My first proper shuttles are made by Milward. They are bobbin shuttles, with a crochet hook and a tail for winding the bobbin. People call them Aero copies. Bad Aero copies. They have all the symptoms: jaggy edges in the plastic, bobbin not fitting on the tail and some bobbins fitting a bit loosely.

But these were quite my only immediate choice. Most of the time the shop assistants had no other brands or no idea what shuttles were. Milward are great, don't get me wrong. Most of their needles are very good for tatting and they usually have good quality products. But these shuttles had to be adjusted.

Saturday, February 4, 2017

From needle to shuttle

I had been tatting using a needle for two and a half years and more often than not I ran into the problem of finding the right needles for my thread or even finding the right thread for my needles. It was getting very frustrating.

My little journey into tatting land began from watching people create their own cosplay clothing and especially one of the ladies make her own embroidery. I was fascinated. So, I decided to try and learn hand embroidery.

I practiced on an old bed spread and made quite a few cute flowers. I even have a favourite stitch that looks like a braid.

But then I figured I needed to make my lace first and then sew it onto the garments, to be sure I have the right measurements and not make any mistakes. I had a needle and thread, so off I went on the internet to research the options...

Monday, February 16, 2015

What will they think?

This is the question that probably runs through every designer's mind at least once. What will the client think of the finished product?

This can be quite gruelling when you are just starting out in the handmade business, making a couple of things here and there, most as presents, because then you know for sure they will not easily refuse or criticise your work. It is a time of great doubt, when your confidence is below sea level and when you find a hundred little flaws in everything you make.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Love is in the air

It is still very cold here and it seems that winter doesn't want to step aside just yet.
However, rather than snowflakes, it's time for hearts (and kisses and huggies :D) for the upcoming Valentine's Day and Dragobete, which is a Romanian holiday that takes place 10 days after, on the 24th of February.

One of the old customs was that young people went in groups to the woods to look for spring flowers and then sit and talk. Around midday, the girls would run back home chased by boys that liked them. If the boy was fast enough and caught the girl he liked and she liked him back, they would kiss in front of everybody.

Such lovely traditions our country has!